Saturday, August 30, 2008

Shattered Dreams

Say it with a sting.....

Shattered dreams?
11:00AM, Friday, 29 Aug, 2008


Forty five years ago, Martin Luther King Jnr made his 'I have a dream' speech.

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today."

Forty five years later, to the day, Barack Obama accepts the the Democratic Party's White House nomination to run for President of the United States.

No biggie here except that Barack is a black man. So what is my point? Listening to the news coverage of the presidential race, every snippet starts with pointing out the fact that Barack is black. Besides this being pretty obvious to those with colour tv, I just have to wonder - Why after all this time, in the most free democracy (if there is such a thing) is it still an issue? I thought that character, policy and values was what is important in who will hold the most influential job in the world.

Seems like I am wrong and stupid - but you lot knew that already.
Report Abuse Rate this post [5/5] | Comments [63] | Tags [0] | E-mail This Article
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Tags Close

Snooze post.
10:13AM, Thursday, 28 Aug, 2008
So, let's get back to the wedding so I can bore the heck out of you. Count yourselves lucky, I was going to do a political post!

(Another bad shot by me)


My newly-wed sprogs must have been the most relaxed to-be-weds I have ever seen. The reason for this is that all they wanted for their day, was the immediate family and loving friends to witness and join them in celebrating what the day was all about. No pomp and ceremony. Just good old-fashioned down-to-earth exchanging of vows, declaration of love and a heck of a good shinding afterwards.

As soon as I heard the song chosen for the wedding march, I knew that they would achieve their goal.
My gorgeous DIL walked down the aisle to U2's 'All I Want Is You'. Yes, I had to dig out my tissues! The Minister was Not Yet Errant Son's 'not the girlfriend's' Dad who dispensed with a sermon and instead blessed them with deeply spiritual and loving words that had all of us snivelling. Eish, that man is a true mensch! Love ya, Neil Oosthuizen!

The photos were a hoot. Oldest Errant Son's teacher from grade 7 and our friend, now a photographer, bullied us and we bullied him into some rather unusual shots. He has promised to photoshop my treble chins and k@k hair! Thanks, Emil Bosch.

The newly weds entered the room to Billy Idol's 'White Wedding' and we got the party started. First dance was to Frank Sinatra's 'Fly Me To The Moon' - and yes, I did the dance thingie with Maddad and Dad of the bride. This codger can still lang-arm. OES and I threw our names away by doing our 'Happy Dance' while Maddad secretly hoped my feet would start aching and I would sit down and behave. Hehe - no such luck! The problem with knowing the sprogs friends well - geez, I've fed most of them - is that they keep dragging you onto the dance floor. Even Maddad and the bride's Dad put down their cigars (yes, Voooos - they were Cubans) and boogied. Thanks Vincent for a great playlist.

Ah, there was even time to nosh! Thank you Valverde for a delightful spread and amazing waitrons.

Do's and Dont's
Do wear comfy shoes - the codgers' bunions and fallen arches take a beating
Don't give Madmom shooters - she has years of experience and will outlast you
Do supply lots of Johnny Black - Vooos's brothers from other Mothers and the youngsters seem to favour this drink
Don't try and catch the bouquet if you are on crutches - you are bound to miss
Don't catch the garter and wear it around your noggin if your band is well-known (I now have photos to blackmail you with)
But most importantly - Dont' sweat the small stuff and Do realise that a wedding is not about the fuss and frills - it is about witnessing the union of two people who deeply love and respect each other and creating memories of that special day. That is exactly what we achieved.

Okay, wake up now. I'll excite you with some politics tomorrow!

And for a giggle RIC007GP

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home